[odc-discuss] Precluding re-identification?

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Thu Nov 2 23:52:43 UTC 2017

Hi, Howard-

I suspect you're not going to find any currently-existing open license that
addresses your concern; most were not drafted with privacy concerns in
mind. At best what you'll find is an explicit exclusion of privacy rights,
saying that other terms may govern those. As an easy-to-understand example,
you can take a look at Creative Commons BY 4.0 Sec. 2.b.1, which explicitly
excludes privacy rights. You could use that license, then state that in
your opinion Sec. 2.b.1 means that you have not granted permission to
re-identify. (ODC BY 1.0 Sec. 2.4 attempts to do something similar, albeit
in a more roundabout way.)

Unfortunately, in at least some jurisdictions (probably including the US),
people don't need your permission to re-identify. In those jurisdictions,
it won't be enough to say "we don't grant permission" - some type of
binding contractual relationship, on top of or alongside the open license,
would be necessary to prevent a recipient of the data from re-identifying.

This is unfortunate, but more an artifact of the weakness of many non-EU
privacy regimes than a problem with the licenses themselves - the licenses
can't regulate a right that isn't provided by law. (It is also very hard
for them to regulate something that varies so much from country to country.)

If you're interested, email me off list and I can suggest a few attorneys
who might be able to help you address this problem creatively.

Luis