[ogdcamp] Bursaries

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Thu Aug 25 14:20:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Tim Davies
<tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk> wrote:
> Quick thoughts on inclusiveness/accessibility of bursaries
> (Following comments in spirit of constructive reflections - rather than
> criticism: Bursary scheme is definitely good thing.)
> I note that the form doesn't ask people whether or not they would be able to
> attend without a bursary - so I'm a little concerned that the real potential
> of these to promote inclusion of those who might not otherwise have funding
> to travel to OGDCamp could be lost. It might be useful to add to the page
> about the bursaries a little more about (a) what they will cover; and (b)
> selection criteria if there are any other than the list of people you would
> like to see apply.

Good point Tim. I've added the following line to the EU bursary page
to make this clear:

"The bursary aims to support people who could not otherwise afford to
participate in the camp – and this will be taken into account when
applications are processed."

> Widening opportunities...
> I'm looking with the AidInfo team at whether we can sponsor some people or
> places from South Asia or Africa to take part in OGD Camp. Are there any
> other people / organisations on the steering committee who might be
> interested in sponsoring places from outside Europe?

That would be fantastic Tim!

Tariq: is there any chance the World Bank be interested in supporting
this? Or do you know anyone else who might be?

All the best,

Jonathan