[ogdcamp] intro - José M. Alonso

Jose M. Alonso josema at webfoundation.org
Fri Jul 15 08:18:08 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Jonathan asked me to send a brief intro to this list. I'm not sure who is in but pretty sure several I've already met, looking forward to meet you all later this year.

My name is José Manuel Alonso (aka José and Josema) and I'm the Open Data Program Manager at the World Wide Web Foundation [0]. This program intends to improve people's lives in low and middle income countries by releasing data that matters. We plan to do in-country implementation of OGD programs establishing a local sustainable OGD ecosystem, build open replicable pieces that could be of use to others, and support a global community around some OGD topics.
Some of you may remind a first step: the Open Data feasibility studies in Ghana and Chile we released earlier this year [1].

In my other life as Open Data Manager at CTIC (Spain) [2], I've led several Open Data projects for local and regional governments in Spain and I'm still involved in the national Open Data initiative. You may also find me at European Open Data expert panels from time to time.

I've been also involved for quite some time with W3C where I held several positions; managed the W3C Office in Spain [3], established and led the W3C eGovernment Activity [4], co-chaired the W3C eGovernment Interest Group [5], and served as Member of the W3C Advisory Committee.

I'm happy to join this effort and I'm sure we all will help to make it a success once again.

Cheers,
Josema.

[0] http://webfoundation.org
[1] http://www.webfoundation.org/2011/05/open-government-data-reports-published/