[ogdcamp] Let's hack!

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Wed Jul 20 18:34:01 UTC 2011

Dear Andrew,

thanks for the feedback! Comments inline:

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Andrew Stott <andrew.stott at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Friedrich
>
> Many thanks for this.  Some comments below.
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew

Just to be clear: I didn't actually propose we should have a track
without women, just that we discard the usual balance between more
policy-focussed and technical sessions in one room and go into deep
techno terrain. Not too excited about this myself, however.

> - the 24-hour "get-this-database-pretty" challenge
>
> 0 - good exercise to move the agenda on, but not sure how impactful the
> results would be (many people won't understand how bad the data is to start
> with).  Could usefully involve groups like OpenCorporates.

I do think we would need to have a follow-up plan for this to make
sure things don't get lost, but after all this is the kind of
datahubbish thing we want to develop as a practice anyway. My concern
here is more about letting people do what they want to do vs. forcing
them onto some common goal.

> - micro-wg meetups for popular project classes (legislation tracking,
> spending, mapping)
>
> +1 - good focus, smaller groups will give greater interaction and
> relationship building.  Also useful for generating data/examples for people
> to use for improvement back in their home jurisdication
>
> - the general data science fair
>
> +1 in principle yes, and could help build bridges between the Open Data
> community and the Big Data community to mutual benefit.
>
> - unborn projects speed dating
>
> 0 could work, requires careful design.  Variants could be "Dragon's Den" or
> "The Apprentice" ....

I like the "Dragon's Den" thing, haven't seen that before, but its
probably more competitive rather than cooperative.

> - a fossmanuals-style book writing effort
>
> -1 not a lot of interaction in this?

When done Adam Hyde-style, there is: lots of brainstorming, joint
creation of a topic map etc. but still pretty theoretic.

Best regards,

 Friedrich