[ogdcamp] Fringe workshop on Organisational Identifiers - Sunday 23rd

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 20:11:41 UTC 2011

Tim
Not yet. Couple of ideas I've suggested to Jonathan but not decided yet.
Chris

------
OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://OpenCorporates. com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/countculture
On 7 Sep 2011 21:04, "Tim Davies" <tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>> <tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>> > It looks like we've got plans together for a fringe workshop on open
data
>> > around organisational identifiers on Sunday 23rd October. A brief
summary
>> of
>> > the workshop focus is below. Anyone else interested in getting involved
>> in
>> > this - do let me know.
>> > OKF folk: how are we managing registration for fringe events? Should we
>> set
>> > up an EventBrite etc?
>> >
>> > Organisational Identifiers Workshop - Sunday 23rd October - Warsaw,
>> Poland.
>> > Many open data projects would benefit from having a shared and stable
way
>> > identify organisations within datasets. There are a number of ongoing
>> > efforts to collect open data on organisations, or to assign unique
>> > indentifiers to organisations. Establishing a universal scheme of
>> > organisational identifiers is particularly important for projects such
as
>> > the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI), which need to
>> identify
>> > organisations across many jurisdictions and across sectors (companies,
>> > charities, governments, other associations and organisations), covering
>> > countries with diverse approaches to, and quality of, official
>> registration
>> > schemes. This workshop seeks to bring together different initiatives
>> working
>> > on organisational identifiers to share knowledge and develop shared
>> > approaches to creating complementary and compatible access to
>> organisational
>> > information.
>> >
>> > The core aims of the workshop are to:
>> >
>> > Bring together different actors exploring the organisational identifier
>> > question: including those focused on companies, charities, government
>> > agencies and other forms of organisation.
>> > Identify a shared method (standard) for re-using existing identifiers
>> (e.g.
>> > Company Registration; VAT Registration). This may focus on convergence
>> and
>> > compatibility between schemes such as the IATI Identifier (a framework
>> for
>> > Identifiers); Open Corporates URIs (seeking to cover all companies
>> > globally); ORGPedia entries (“facilitating the “mashing up” of
disparate
>> > data sets about the ownership, structure, performance and regulatory
>> > compliance of organizations” [REF]); Guidestar Identifier (NGO
focussed)
>> and
>> > other open data sources and initiatives.
>> > Identify existing efforts to collect open data on organisations and to
>> map
>> > together different identifiers (e.g. Corporate groupings; mapping
Charity