[ogdcamp] Academic track + introduction

David Robinson david.robinson at yale.edu
Wed Sep 14 21:35:07 UTC 2011

Hi Tim -- and all --- yes, it'd be great to have the participants in the
special issue take part in the academic track -- what a well-timed bit of
luck!

Here's a working blurb to describe the purpose of the academic track. *This
can be circulated to academic communities beyond the steering committee list
*:

Open Government Data Camp, the world’s biggest open data event, will take
place this coming October 20 and 21 in Warsaw, Poland. It will bring
together a globally unique constellation of civil servants, developers, NGO
participants, scholars, and others. More information is available at
http://ogdcamp.org/about/.

The academic track at OGD camp will be a crossroads for academics who study,
or participate in, the open government data community and surrounding public
policy activities. The academic track will take place as part of the main
event, on Thursday 20 October. In the morning, a Works in Progress session
will allow participants to share their work and elicit feedback; the
afternoon will be reserved for tutorials that allow academics to share their
favorite practical discoveries from the rapidly evolving open data
landscape. (A wiki will allow participants to exchange working papers before
they travel to Warsaw.) Scholars who take part in the academic track will
also have an unparalleled opportunity to engage with the public officials,
“civic hackers” and others who are making open data a reality.

To present your work or offer a tutorial as part of the academic track,
please contact Harlan Yu (harlanyu at princeton.edu) and David Robinson (
david.robinson at yale.edu), co-organizers of the academic track.

Thanks,

David