[ogdcamp] Satellite event suggestions? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 12:54:16 UTC 2011

Hey Jose, Rolf

I think Rolf is sending something around the Open Development list soon with
possible plans for the Open Aid/Open Development workshop.

I think that probably is something distinct from a wider open data in low
and middle income countries workshop - although I guess some of this depends
on who is attending the camp from/with a focus on LMICs.

It sounds like there might be three distinct, but complementary discussions.
Here's an attempt to sketch what those might be (or I might be off track
here - let me know...)

*- Building blocks of open government data* - looking at all the different
parts of an open data initiative asides from just the data. Finding general
principles and sharing learning that should be relevant in most national /
local government country contexts.

*- Open Data in LMICs *- focussing on the specifics of open data in these
context (I wanted to suggest the title 'Citizen centred open data in LMICs'
as I think it's really important to avoid uncritically exporting ideas from
higher income countries without exploring how those serve citizens and
society of LMICs)

*- Open Data in Development* - looking at what development agencies can do
to promote collaboration, better outcomes, and more inclusive development
through adopting open data and open working practices. Likely to be a chance
to share initiatives such as /open, the Open for Change manifesto, to
develop the development remixes of the Open Data Manual, and to talk about
current open data projects in the development field.

Question would be I guess which of these should be discussions in main ODG
Camp - which is there a constituency and demand for a satellite event on?

All the best

Tim

http://www.timdavies.org.uk
07834 856 303.