[ogdcamp] Satellite event suggestions? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tim McNamara tim.mcnamara at okfn.org
Mon Sep 19 18:30:07 UTC 2011

On 20 September 2011 02:05, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Holm, Jeanne M (1760)
> <jeanne.m.holm at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>>
>> Is anyone interested in partnering on a half day session that looks at what are the building blocks necessary to have in a successful open government data project?  Looking at things like policy, communications, software, infrastructure, access to data owners, etc.
>> Let me know!
>
> Really big +1 to this. This would be really amazing.
>
> Perhaps we could also add material from this to the Open Data Manual?
>
> http://opendatamanual.org/

We also need a definition for a successful open government data project.

Some of the other necessary but insufficient conditions to me also include:

 - political will
 - an open data community
 - risk tolerance
 - low cash burn (project needs to last past a change of minister/government)

To be somewhat controversial, I think that most of the technical
issues are now solved. Software and infrastructure shouldn't be a
barrier any more. One of the things that has really hurt open data
projects (e.g. data.gov) is the desire to have a glorious front end.
Almost all front ends look unfashionable fairly quickly. They are also
expensive to build and maintain.

It would be great to be able have an in-depth discussion on this area
on the open-government mailing list. Then the camp could be something
where a resolution or a set of principles could be established, with
most of the troublesome issues resolved beforehand.