[drn-cam-discuss] Reminder (TOMORROW): Next Cambridge Copynight: Thursday 7th September 2006, 7pm

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Sep 7 09:02:48 UTC 2006

peter murray-rust wrote:
> At 16:55 06/09/2006, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>
>> Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow evening. Note that CB2 do
>> pretty good food and that you can always eat at the same time as chat.
>

> I'm looking forward to it - have to leave by 8. I shall be interested in
> blogging some of the ideas and activities in case they can inform
> science. For example the struggles with the ACS over chemical
> information is quite similar to the liberation of map data.

Very much so.

> I am also overwhelmed by Placeopedia - what a clever and simple idea.
> What sort of effort is involved in a mashup like that? Is it harder than
> it looks (I find I am constantly fighting the glueware - always 90%
> finished but it is the little things that hold you back).

Well I believe Placeopedia is a mysociety 'side-project' so if either
Francis of Chris are there tonight you can ask the authors themselves!

BTW if you like Placeopedia you might also like some of the geo mashups
listed on:

   http://www.openlayers.org/gallery/

In particular Gutenkarte (Project Gutenberg texts integrated with maps):

   http://gutenkarte.org/

and the World Free Map (world CIA fact book + map):

   http://world.freemap.in/

Unlike Placeopedia which uses on Google maps these all use completely
open data (and their own mapservers) so they will probably be slower.

Regards,

Rufus