[ok-scotland] ScotGovCamp follow ups MEMO

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 14:44:28 UTC 2010

Paola, thanks for all this. Some comments on your points below.
Midway through writing something about ScotGovCamp on blog.okfn.org too.
For me it was much more a philosophical than a productive day, though :)

On 01/08/2010 15:20, Paola Di Maio wrote:

> 1. I have picked up a few cards and had a few chats.At least 3 people I
> . I am meeting the respective ppl in the next couple of weeks and we ll
> have a starting point  for each soon

I'll look forward a lot to seeing the maps and links.

> 2. If anyone has come across any discussion which potentially represents
> a good 'real' case study that can be used

Is there a way to quickly make notes within
https://sites.google.com/site/scottishlinkeddataswig/projects/lod-pilot-1 ?
I've had the beginnings of a conversation with Bob Kerr and Anand from
OpenStreetmap about a health outcome reporting analysis and
visualisation project - the data is apparently out there (though the
health authority boundaries aren't).

> 3. subject to funding. So if anyone is aware of any funding

Depends how academic you want to be. If so, http://www.sfc.ac.uk/
who co-fund some JISC calls. I have heard that JISC are planning a
another Linked Data call in the nearish future. So institutional
partners - may I urge you again to talk with Ewan Klein at Informatics
here in Edinburgh who is looking, similarly, to put together a pilot
(with obscure motivations of ontology alignment) with a clearly
identified user community. And you've got a network at Strathclyde.

The point at which my mind starts to jam is "Business and Community
Engagement" and "Open Innovation^WExploitation". But that's another
conversation entirely.

> 4. local open data panel in Scotland
> A couple of people I mentioned this to said they would be interested to
> be on such panel. Any ideas how do we make it happen?

There are folks at the Improvement Service who i was surprised not to
see at ScotGovCamp (should have emailed them, i suppose).
- Iain McKay, Cameron Easton

The IS *might* be the place with combination of power and resources to
start this up. I met them at the last Glasgow meeting of the Association
of Geographic Information, where there was much open data and open
source chatter.

I would also talk to Sally Kerr at Edinburgh Council about starting this
from the bottom up, relatively speaking. We should try to meet her
together, if possible.

Good good, more soon i expect,

jo