[ok-scotland] Fwd: first board meeting?

Angus Whyte a.whyte at ed.ac.uk
Sun Jul 4 23:12:20 UTC 2010

The Edinburgh meeting was the first time I'd done anything connected
with OKF. I also enjoyed the meeting and would like to be involved in
others I think. If other lists are better places to discuss why it makes
sense to be part of OKF or not fine. It may be a truism that what and
how things gets decided depends on 'who turns up' more than any formal
governance process, but if the point of having meetings in Scotland is
to be able to turn up it seems to me governance shouldn't be off-topic.
I disagree with Stuart on organisational transparency and 'open data'
are separate issues - the one provides the context for (and limits of)
the other.

Having followed Jonathan's links I find the OKF governance page vague. I
see OKF is legally a limited company, presumably without share capital,
and in more general terms is about ' open discussion, meritocracy and
tolerance'. I've been involved enough with a few associations to be
bored stupid by discussion of articles of association and the like, but
agree with Paola that the OKF site could be more helpful on how people
get on its board, who gets to spend its money and so on. I am defintely
not interested in discussing the details on this list or any other, but
if OKF has a 'memorandum and articles of association' why can't they be
made available, like (say) Wikimedia does ?

Angus

On 30/06/2010 19:39, Phil Barker wrote:
> On 30/06/10 17:11, Andres Guadamuz wrote:
>> There is no such thing as OK-Scotland, as Robin stated, this is just
>> a mailing list of people in a common geographical area who might want
>> to organise events together.
>
> That's what I thought OK-Scotland was. I can see the sense of a
> Scottish group within OKF, to organise meetings that are convenient
> for people in Scotland to go to and to discuss issues devolved to the
> Scottish Government.  I really enjoyed the first one and would be
> willing to help organise others (especially one focussed on
> education). But it only makes sense to me if it is part of OKF.
>
> Phil

Dr Angus Whyte
Research Officer
Digital Curation Centre