[ok-scotland] Cities and open data

Maire Williams M.Williams at centreforcities.org
Tue Jan 27 13:54:01 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've just joined this mailing list and wanted to introduce myself and ask for feedback on a project I'm working on. I work as a researcher at Centre for Cities, which looks at the economic performance of the UKs 64 largest cities. We're interested in open data as the amount of timely, robust data available at a city level is limited, and this impacts on our and Governments ability to understand the issues individuals cities face and develop efficient policies that overcome these. We published a report outlining the benefits from open data policies to cities  (http://www.centreforcities.org/publication/open-data-or-closed-doors/) and are now building on this to come up with a list of key data sets that we and others would like to see prioritised for release.

I've attached a short note that outlines what data we would like to see prioritised for release and why. It would be great if you could have a read through and get back to me with comments on:

1)      If the specific datasets mentioned would be of interest to you / your organisation and how you would use them

2)      Other city level data you / your organisation would like to see prioritised for release and why

Our aim is to come up with a short list of key data sets that we would then campaign for the relevant parties to release.

Any feedback you have would be appreciated,

Many thanks,
Maire

Maire Williams
Researcher
@WilliamsMaire<https://twitter.com/WilliamsMaire>
Centre for Cities, Enterprise House, 59-65 Upper Ground, London. SE1 9PQ

Visit us: centreforcities.org<http://www.centreforcities.org/> | Follow us: @centreforcities<http://twitter.com/centreforcities> | Data about your city: citiesoutlook.org<http://www.citiesoutlook.org/>
Our General Election campaign, Think Cities: thinkcities.org.uk<http://www.thinkcities.org.uk/> or follow: @thinkcitiesuk

Centre for Cities is a registered charity (No 1119841) and a company limited by guarantee registered in England (No 6215397)