[OKCon-Programme] Length of talks at OKCon

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Mon May 2 17:44:34 BST 2011

I think that's right, and my experience of the 10-20 minutes ones at
previous OKCONs is that presenters find it difficult to get something
substantive across in that time, and people invariably take longer than
this, meaning the schedule gets messed up.

Chris

On 2 May 2011 16:14, Daniel Dietrich <daniel.dietrich at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi Rufus,
>
> I like to disagree. We can not have that short talks for all presentations,
> Lets have different formats!
>
> We discussed this issue today at the programme committee meeting and came
> up with
>
> 3 to 5 min lightning talk
>
> 15 min short talk or demo
>
> keynote 15 to 30 min + 15 Q&A (30 - 45)
>
> main track presentation 30 min + 15 Q&A (45)
>

> Regards
> Daniel
>
> On 02.05.2011, at 16:14, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > Just to clarify (as I was some discussion about talk lengths in a recent
> email):
> >
> > Usually talk lengths are 10-20m (even for keynotes). Of course in
> > special circumstances or for particular speakers we can extend this
> > but I'd be cautious about suggesting talks e.g. 1h talks.
> >
> > Rufus

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture