[okfestival-discuss] Kicking off Open Knowledge Research Network at OKFestival 2014

Jussi Nissilä jusnis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 13:27:52 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Ever since we organised the OKFestival in Helsinki in 2012 and witnessed
how one could learn so much from the various topics, and how they together
clearly constitute a common field or a social movement, there has been a
wish to understand better open knowledge as a holistic concept and how it
works in the society.

In early 2013, together with the Finnish Institute in London and the Open
Knowledge Foundation, we published the Open Book, which explored the
movement and its practice. However, the Open Book didn't yet go very far in
clarifying the nature of open knowledge as such or in explaining its
working principles relying on existing scientific knowledge.

We have now envisioned an interdisciplinary network of academics and
theory-oriented practitioners, which would aim for better theoretical
knowledge and improved conceptual clarity regarding open knowledge (inc.
open data and other aspects). I've written a draft proposal for OKFestival
2014 session, where we hope to kick off the network's activities and reach
those who are interested. You can find the draft here:
http://pad.okfn.org/p/okfestival2014-socialsciences

Right now it would be important to map all similar activities that already
exist in the global open knowledge community. Please let me know if you
know of people or groups who are doing something similar - research
collaboration and/or a session at OKFestival related to it.

I know at least the open development folks have been keen to develop a
theory of openness of some sort, but please share this session proposal and
my contacts to all potentially interested parties. And remember, the point
of the network is to connect researchers to a interdisciplinary
(transdisciplinary?) dialogue, not to compete with any activities within a
certain topic / discipline.

Alternatively, please join the Open Knowledge Research Network Google
Community to discuss the idea for the the network and the session:
https://plus.google.com/communities/107868846726979187749

Kind regards,
Jussi Nissilä
jusnis at gmail.com