[okfestival-discuss] Hands on Cloud-based Investigative Analysis for Journalists and Researchers

Nolan Browne nol at plot.ly
Thu Mar 27 18:47:33 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I am interested in proposing session called *Hands on Cloud-based
Investigative Analysis for Journalists and Researchers* for the OK
Festival.  I am a data analyst and I would like to team up with people
interested in this topic to develop my proposal further and co-present..  I
imagine I'm looking for an investigative journalist, writer or blogger or
perhaps an open data provider ... but I am open to work with anyone who is
passionate about this subject!  Check out the outline below!

I am a data analyst and co-founder at Plotly <https://plot.ly/> and we make
a free tool that is used by data journalists for analyzing large data
sets, making
"open" graphs <https://plot.ly/~alexhp/68/> and sharing the graphs and the
data behind them publicly.  I would like to work with a journalist who can
help us define the questions we are trying to address to make a compelling
story, can iterate with us as we develop the data and can provide guidance
on how to develop notes about the findings.

I am not married to the outline below.. so if you think we need to change
it around I'm totally open to do so.

Would love to hear from you if you are interested in helping with this
topic.

Thanks!!

Nol

Session: Hands on Cloud-based Investigative Analysis for Journalists and
Researchers
Format: Data Expedition
Time: 60 min - 90 min.
researcher or data analysts to discover and report critical facts essential
for a free democratic society to function well.  In this 60 min. session,
we will jointly explore an open data set pertaining to a timely political
debate and develop open interactive data visualizations that allow users to
easily share, view, copy and reuse the underlying data.  Finally we will
develop story notes for the visualization set.  These visualizations and
notes will all be shared publicly on the internet and circulated to the
OKFN's data-driven-journalism mailing list.
*Motivation: *To help make the open knowledge community more knowledgeable
about of the data sets, methodology and tools that could be used to
collaboratively analyze open data sets and comprehensibly reporting their
findings.
*Outcomes:* Participant will leave with a hand on understanding of the
investigative process and familiarity with key tools for this purpose.
Visualizations and story lines will be shared publicly and may contribute
to a story from one of our associated journalists
*Structure:  *
This will be a highly interactive moderated data expedition in 3 phases;
discovery, analysis and story development. It will be led by a trio of
moderators (a journalist and 2 data analysts) who will outline the process
of developing a data driven story for the first 10 min. of the session.
 Session participants will be broken into groups of 6-8 people and will
also simultaneously attempt to analyse the same data sets. 2 of the
moderators working on the problem will periodically address the class
throughout the session showcasing key questions they are asking and
techniques and methodologies they are employing for the project.  While one
of the analysts will move from group to group helping with the analysis and
potentially calling out interesting ideas and best practices seen in the
groups.  In the final 5 min. of the class the moderators will share all of
the session's data analysis, graphs and story notes with the class allowing
each group to comment on its work.  This can be done in 60 min. but 75-90
min. would be a lot less rushed.

*Nolan Browne*
*Co-Founder & Chief Business Officer*

*Check us out on:*
Facebook <https://mixpanel.com/report/117416/triggers/facebook.com/plotly>|
@plotlygraphs <http://twitter.com/plotlygraphs> | Google
+<http://google.com/+plotly>

*Products:*
Plotly.js <http://plot.ly/developers>, for dashboards in science,
engineering, and finance.
Plotly APIs <http://plot.ly/api>, for beautiful, publication-quality graphs
in Python, R, MATLAB, Arduino, REST, Julia, and Perl.
Plotly Notebooks<http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/plotly/IPython-plotly/tree/master/>,
for interactive IPython graphing.
Plotly Apps, for Google
Chrome<http://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plotly/khajkhinhblhaenlhpodnblkmpdgclne>