[okfn-advisory] fund-raising idea for OKF

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Sat Dec 5 18:05:53 UTC 2009

It's hard work, I can tell you from experience :-)

The main thing is to work on getting data into existing registries at
EBI, EMBL, NIH, and so forth. Otherwise you're stuck in a world where
you're having to store, serve, and support data. Creative Commons has
spent an enormous amount of time on this topic and we're starting to
have real success. Merck's donation of data to Sage and some more
forthcoming work from other top-ten global pharma will both fall into
these lines - there's an org dedicated to serving the data, our job is
just making sure the data falls into the public domain so that it can be
reused, redistributed, and re-integrated.

jtw

Peter Suber wrote:
>   Just one quick follow-up to Peter MR:
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk
> <mailto:pm286 at cam.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     [...]
>     On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Peter Suber <peter.suber at gmail.com
>     <mailto:peter.suber at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         First, OKF could launch a project on the "pre-competitive
>         sharing" of pharma data.  It could collect info on the company
>         initiatives already under way, develop guidelines for other
>         companies, and so on. This much seems very compatible with the
>         current OKF mission.  Call it Phase 1.
>

>      I agree with this - it's obviously considerable work and I am
>     wondering whether there is synergy with other bodies. I suecpt that
>     we would need some funding for this.
>

> Much of the info on existing initiatives I've already collected in my
> blog.  It would have to be rounded out and brought up to date.  But that
> phase of the project wouldn't have to start from scratch.
>
>      Peter (Suber)

John Wilbanks

VP for Science, Creative Commons
http://creativecommons.org
http://sciencecommons.org
http://neurocommons.org

"We make sharing easy, legal, and scalable."