[okfn-advisory] fund-raising idea for OKF

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sat Dec 5 18:31:32 UTC 2009

This sounds like an excellent idea and (in my opinion) something that
the OKF would definitely be interest in pursuing in principle. The
main problem from a logistical point of view is our capacity. We have
a huge amount on our plate at the moment and to me it looks like
Peter's proposals would require several weeks of person time to get
started.

*However* - I think there's one possibility here in the near future,
which is that we apply to CODATA's recent CFP for new Task Groups [1]
with preliminary work (scoping, networking, basic report?) on this as
one of our objectives. This would give us a small budget to help get
the ball rolling. In order for this to work, I think we'd really need
backing (i.e. support, not necessarily time) from scientifically
orientated Advisory Board Members (Tim Hubbard, John Wilbanks, Peter
Suber, Peter Murray-Rust, ...) - as well as suggestions for other
groups/individuals who might join the Task Group ASAP. I would suggest
that the Working Group in Open Data in Science [2] could take
responsibility for this.

What to people think?

Jonathan

[1] http://www.codata.org/New%20TG%20Call%20letter.doc