[okfn-advisory] fund-raising idea for OKF

Peter Suber peter.suber at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 18:32:07 UTC 2009

Thanks, John.  What's the org dedicated to serving the data?

Do you think a critical mass of pharma companies would pay to see their open
data (whatever volume they voluntarily opened up, and whatever its licensing
status) inch toward interoperability?  Behind this I'm wondering whether
they might cover the expenses of the project, even if large, with some left
over to support OKF general operations.

In any case, here's a Plan B.  If the interoperability project is too
ambitious, OKF could launch a smaller project simply to *track* open
industrial data, starting with the pharma industry.  The project could
annotate the data sets to indicate where they were hosted, how they were
licensed, marked-up, preserved, and so on.  Because many companies realize
that they have an interest in freeing up some kinds of data, they might fund
a project to track and annotate it all.  At any time that seemed propitious
--if ever--, the project could become more ambitious.

     Peter S.