[okfn-advisory] fund-raising idea for OKF

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Sat Dec 5 18:41:15 UTC 2009

>   Thanks, John.  What's the org dedicated to serving the data?

For Merck, it's Sage. For the others, it's the National Center for
Biotechnology Information and the European Bioinformatics Institute.

> Do you think a critical mass of pharma companies would pay to see their
> open data (whatever volume they voluntarily opened up, and whatever its
> licensing status) inch toward interoperability?  Behind this I'm
> wondering whether they might cover the expenses of the project, even if
> large, with some left over to support OKF general operations.

In my experience, not even close. The choice is whether to bury the data
or share it, and in neither case is it considered worth an investment.
It's a dump, plain and simple. We've had extensive conversations over a
long period of time and have had zero luck raising a dollar for it. Open
access to the literature is different, because in that area, pharmas are
like universities (i.e., there's a library that faces a serials pricing
crisis and can reallocate funds).

The only case where there's been an investment that I know of is in
Sage, which is not just an open data project but instead is an actual
medical research organization that has an open data component. But the
investment is in the research part, not the open data part. There's a
bunch of companies playing around in the W3C semantic web for life
sciences project but that tends to be small, pointed investments of
time, and I've heard rumbles that the membership model there is having
some trouble sustainability wise.

We've looked at membership models extensively in our Health Commons
project, and walked away from them. This proposal sounds an awful lot
like Health Commons and I'm happy to share our experience there, but I
can say for now that a membership model is a tough long term one.

> In any case, here's a Plan B.  If the interoperability project is too
> ambitious, OKF could launch a smaller project simply to /track/ open
> industrial data, starting with the pharma industry.  The project could
> annotate the data sets to indicate where they were hosted, how they were
> licensed, marked-up, preserved, and so on.  Because many companies
> realize that they have an interest in freeing up some kinds of data,
> they might fund a project to track and annotate it all.  At any time
> that seemed propitious --if ever--, the project could become more
> ambitious.

This tends to seem much more achievable to me. It leverages the
excellent work in CKAN, which is a signature achievement of the OKF for
me, at least in the tracking. As for annotation, I support that aspect,
as well as trying to point out that annotation means *scientific*
annotation and not just legal / policy / location. If you know something
is freely available but not what it says...well, that's not so useful.