[okfn-advisory] Advisory Board Meeting tomorrow

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Jul 4 09:56:53 UTC 2011

On 03/07/2011 23:24, Lucy Chambers wrote:
> As we had a fantastic and very productive meeting in Berlin
> The notes from saturday's meeting in their raw form can be found here:
 > http://coord.okfnpad.org/berlin-away-day

Lucy, thanks. It was great to put faces to all the new OKF people.

I stood down as a director of Open Knowledge Foundation Limited
yesterday, and am now re-joining the advisory board (which i never
officially left, when i joined the main board in 2007).

Four years is a fairly long time on the personal timescale, wanted to
step down before reaching burnout. Been playing Cassandra too much,
constantly drawing attention to problems that we don't yet have.

Have no experience of scaling an organisation from community roots to
million-pound budgets and government contracts. Was just introduced to
someone who took a community transport organisation through this
process, and if we manage to meet up in Manchester next week i'll report
back any learning experiences to this list.

The notes show a renewed commitment to delegating more of the *strategic
direction* of OKF to a wider community group. There's a proposal taking
form which i guess we'll see circulated to discuss.
In the past there's been the problem that people in projects and working
groups don't have time/headspace for administrative tasks; maybe being
able to disburse small amounts of funds to new projects,
combined with more influence, would encourage people to engage.

Quick question: this list currently has closed archives / membership
list - i'm hoping these are the default settings and that there's not a
reason for this, could we set them to be open please?