[okfn-advisory] critique of OKCon

Nathan Torkington nathan at torkington.com
Wed Jul 6 03:09:48 UTC 2011

On 5/07/2011, at 2:29 PM, Peter Suber wrote:
> If you haven't already seen it, you'll be annoyed by Michael Gurstein's blog post on why he found OKCon "frightening".

Only annoyed because of his objectionable characterisation of OKCon attendees as juvenile men, and his prolixity.  Basic point ("open data is not a panacea") is well-taken.

Nice responses, PMR and Jo.  I don't know who this guy is nor why OKF should spend a lot of mental time and energy on this blog post when his basic points have been made more articulately by others in the past.  Tithing is so farcically simplistic it makes my head ache to think he proposed it, but I'm all for asking how we ensure our openness activities rebalance power rather than further skewing it.

Sounds like an interesting track for the next OKCon, to be honest.

Cheers;

Nat