[okfn-advisory] Leadership transition update and thank you to outgoing CEO

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Dec 19 13:37:05 UTC 2014

On 18 December 2014 at 10:34, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'd like to join in the thanks. Quite by chance was having dinner with
> Laura last night as she is on the advisory board of the ContentMine
> project, and so I got a lot of update.

That's great to hear. I want to reiterate what I said in the email that
Laura and I drafted: Laura has been an incredible presence here at Open
Knowledge and played a central role in all that we have achieved in the
last three years of rapid change. She will be sorely missed.

> As a 10-year old member of the advisory council I am completely committed
> to the success of the OKF (we decided I can now say OKI) and perhaps this
> is a catalyst for the Council to have a more regular input...

That would be fantastic. The key thing I've felt, especially in the last
year, is that it would be great to have a "Chair" from within the Council
who could help lead and facilitate the AC in providing input and direction
to the organization in a more regular and structured way. I know this is
something that I spoke briefly to you, Peter, about briefly earlier in the
year but it would be great to have the thoughts of other AC members on this.

All the best,

Rufus

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Laura James <laura.james at okfn.org>
> wrote:
>

>> *This is a joint email from Open Knowledge CEO Laura James and Open
>> Knowledge Founder and President Rufus Pollock:In September we announced
>> that Laura James, our CEO, is moving on from Open Knowledge and we are
>> hiring a new Executive Director. The recruitment process for the Executive
>> Director has been moving forward apace with the final deadline for
>> applications on the 2nd January.We’ve been successful in finding interim
>> senior management support, to enable Laura to pursue her other interests
>> whilst recruitment of the Executive Director continues. Laura will be
>> leaving us formally towards the end of January and is stepping out of
>> day-to-day operational engagement from the end of this week as we head into
>> Christmas. From Rufus: I want to express my deep appreciation for
>> everything that Laura has done. She has made an immense contribution to
>> Open Knowledge over the last 3 years and has been central to all we have
>> achieved. As a leader, she has helped take us through a period of
>> incredible growth and change. I wish her every success on her future
>> endeavours. I am delighted that Laura will be continuing to advise and
>> support Open Knowledge, including joining our Advisory Council. I am deeply
>> thankful for everything she has done to support both Open Knowledge and me
>> personally during her time with us.From Laura: It’s been an honour and a
>> pleasure to work with and support Open Knowledge, and to have the
>> opportunity to work with so many brilliant people and amazing projects
>> around the world. It’s bittersweet to be moving on from such a wonderful
>> organisation, but I know that I am leaving it in great hands, with a smart
>> and dedicated management team and a new leader joining shortly. Open
>> Knowledge will continue to develop and thrive as the catalyst at the heart
>> of the global movement around freeing data and information, ensuring
>> knowledge creates power for the many, not the few. In particular, thank you
>> to all the community members who have been incredibly welcoming and
>> supportive to me. Your hard work and energy is very impressive and
>> humbling, and your achievements over the last few years have been wonderful
>> to see. I know that 2015 will see even more successes from around the Open
>> Knowledge network, and I’m looking forward to finding out what great things
>> you all do next!Laura’s work in supporting local groups and working groups,
>> particularly with advice on group sustainability, strategy, and Chapter
>> set-up will be taken on by Naomi Lillie and Sander van der Waal, whose
>> combined expertise will be very helpful there. Best wishes for 2015,Laura &
> [...]

*Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*

The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,
Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.