[okfn-advisory] Open Knowledge and Reset the Net

Nat Torkington nathan at torkington.com
Thu Jun 5 16:42:32 UTC 2014

How I see it ...

It’s appropriate to have multiple levels of “support”: endorse, fund, cooperate.  Endorse = web splash and press release; fund = those + $; cooperate = staff time and possibly $ towards public or private activity.

The closer to your core mission, the greater the support you can offer.

Your organisation’s reputation is what you “spend” when you endorse another project’s actions.  Just as with money, you have to be conservative with how you spend your reputation lest it dissipate and your organisation stands for nothing but “lefty pinko hippies” or “outrage merchants".  (He says, as an outraged lefty pinko hippy)

This means you probably can’t endorse or fund everything that has an overlap with your mission.

I would support Reset the Net in particular, as its emphasis is on increasing the security of the users of the Internet and this is relevant to the subset of the OKFN audience who are data journalists and evidence-based pro-democracy activists.   As others pointed out, if the data is open but your use of it is surveilled, you won’t be able to effect the change you want.

But I’d be cautious about embracing every anti-surveillance pro-net-neutrality anti-kettling pro-democracy anti-fox-hunting Internet campaign that wanders into your stakeholders’ attention.  You probably have room for one of those a year, and where possible a positive one—clicking through should HELP your audience, not merely add their name to a pledge or protest form.

Cheers;

Nat
--
Nat Torkington