[okfn-advisory] Open Knowledge brand and website

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Fri May 9 10:30:18 UTC 2014

Peter,

You raise a lot of very good points and you are right that this is quite a
pivotal time as the field of open knowledge, the community, and central are
all growing and also subject to new challenges and opportunities.

I do hope you - and others here - will be able to join us at the Community
Session on July 15th at OKFestival - I think that will be a useful forum
for some of these conversations, although I think there will be some work
to do in the interim too :)   The questions of strategy, how we make the
most of what we have to achieve the impact we want, especially within an
international and rapidly-changing landscape, are always being thought
about. We have good challenges :)

You are undoubtedly right we should talk with the AC more, and probably a
good starting point is to set out some of the questions and tensions as we
see them, so we can then discuss - either as a group on list or maybe in
one-to-one calls. I'm aware scheduling this group for a meeting is likely
almost impossible - although OKFestival is a good opportunity, and perhaps
we should run a doodle as to a time before/after the main event for an AC
meeting? Other ideas for how to connect this group most welcome :)

On some related questions - such as how Open Knowledge is funded (if at
all!) (both at central and local groups etc) we've been having really
useful conversations exploring options here in the last couple of months on
list and in recent calls. I know quite a few of the local groups folks are
also here on the Council, now, but perhaps it's useful to loop in the wider
council in general too. (More info
here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kb-FZdBU7odSc6SEPbVKoWto0otKvG4eWpiYp6aoKk0/edit?usp=sharing>
-
probably worth a separate thread for discussion)

The question of whether or not we are an advocacy organisation and how much
we engage in policy work is a really interesting one and I've been thinking
a lot about it in the last couple of weeks. It's not an angle i know much
about and I can imagine arguments both for and against :) it's also a
question where the answers may be different for local groups, working
groups, and 'central' so there's various nuances.

Finally, I'm really sorry to hear about the Panton board not being
consulted around the funding proposal and I will be following up on that
with those who were involved in the bid. I should say that it is just a
proposal at this stage and so I imagine there may be scope for change in
some ways - at least the fellowship naming - if desired, assuming the
proposal is accepted.

Best regards,

Laura

--

*Dr Laura JamesCEO  *

*skype: laura.james  |  *@LaurieJ <http://twitter.com/LaurieJ>

*Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/>    -    See how data can change the
worldhttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/>  |  @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>
<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>The Open Knowledge Foundation is a
not-for-profit organisation.  It is incorporated in England & Wales as a
company limited by guarantee, with company number 05133759.  VAT
Registration № GB 984404989. Registered office address: Open Knowledge
Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS,
UK.  *