[@OKFNau] Sustainable open data

Andrew Perry andrew.perry at foclaw.org
Mon Sep 2 15:12:16 UTC 2013

This is a great topic!

My personal view / manifesto is outlined here: http://www.foclaw.org

In order for sharing of data / code to be sustainable, sometimes a mix
of free/open/creative commons etc models may be appropriate.

For example, two organisations that are co-founding the Collaboratory
incubation and co-working space with us at Parramatta
(http://www.collaboratory.com.au &
https://www.facebook.com/CollaboratoryAU) are Open Local (non-profit)
and Community Builders Australia (social enterprise).

Open Local has implemented mySociety's Open Source FixMyStreet platform
here in Australia (http://www.fixmystreet.org), as well as a MapIt
server of electoral boundaries (http://mapit.openlocal.org.au). Open
Local allows free non-commercial, low volume use of the MapIt server as
well as providing subscriptions for higher volume and commercial use.
Open Local is committed to Open Source / Open Data / Open Standards and
has, to date, received no public funding.

Community Builders Australia supports Open Local through, among other
things, a subscription to the Open Local MapIt server.  It uses it for
the Where to Vote and How to Vote apps it has developed which are
available free (as in beer) at:

For Android:

Where to Vote: http://bit.ly/14JhAbn

How to Vote: http://bit.ly/15fQHSz

And for iOS at:

Where to Vote: http://bit.ly/15fgFmi

How to Vote: http://bit.ly/15aranM

The electoral boundaries and polling booth locations / candidate lists
are provided under creative commons licenses from the AEC / ABS.

The big win for the AEC out of making their data available this way is
that they have facilitated the public having access to a free app to
find their local voting locations and candidates, which they/taxpayers
haven't had to pay to develop or support themselves.  Of course in
future they may want to have their own branded version of the app (or
build a similar app).  Community Builders Australia's model is that
candidates/their supports will fund the provision of the app in future
by paying to include their profiles and how to vote / social media /
fundraising links in the app in addition to the basic ballot order
listing of candidates that is provided.

Election night broadcasts also make great use of data feeds coming
openly from the AEC.  This not only provides transparency, but great
value to networks who want to provide up to the minute coverage - so in
line with your question, should TV networks pay for those data feeds?
Arguably yes - so that at least the infrastructure required for a live
stream is adequately compensated.

For example, the data feeds could be made available for a fee to
networks, and to candidates/parties and individuals/non-profits on
election night under a "free beer" creative commons licence. Shortly
after election day the data could then be distributed under a more
liberal, public, "free speech" licence.  (Mind you because this is
election data I would be more inclined to say it should be licensed
liberally from the get-go - just the "live" distribution stream may not
be available to the public or other people who don't contribute to the
cost of running that stream on election night - but the data could still
be seeded as a torrent with periodic updates!).

Other great innovations arising from the "open" release of this data are
featured in the following article you may have seen:

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/diy-howtovote-cards-to-give-voters-control-in-just-a-few-clicks-20130830-2sup6.html

Through our involvement as an anchor tenant and co-founder of
Collaboratory, we hope to bring government, education and private sector
stakeholders together to use Open Innovation to develop sustainable
models for creating and sharing tools and data.  Creative Commons
(discriminatory style) licences are one way that this can be achieved,
by allowing non-commercial / developmental / educational use for free
while requiring payment for a separate licence for commercial use.  Like
the mining tax ;-), the commercial licence could be profit-based (or
revenue based).

As long as the terms of the arrangement are clear and aren't varied
whimsically by the government licensor, then the development community
can invest in building great tools using the "creative commons data"
(without barriers to entry) and then release them in a way that the
government gets a return on its contribution to the app / service's
success.  We see some parallels in the Apple App Store and Google Play
Store in that the tools and APIs are accessible for free, but the
providers get a revenue share for the non-free apps.

Regards

Andrew

*Andrew Perry*
Executive Director

free open creative law

*P*  1300 855 078
*M*  0413 045 300
*F*  02 8090 3699

*An initiative of legal.consult pty ltd
*ABN 84 002 413 078
www.legalconsult.com.au <http://www.legalconsult.com.au>

*Parramatta*
Collaboratory
Level 2
96 Phillip Street
PARRAMATTA  NSW  2150

This e-mail may be confidential and/or privileged. Only the intended
recipient may access or use it. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify us immediately and delete this e-mail.  To the full extent
permitted by law we exclude all liability for viruses or similar
malicious content in any e-mail.  Liability limited by a scheme approved
under Professional Standards Legislation.