[@OKFNau] Sustainable open data

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 02:13:03 UTC 2013

This is a fantastic topic. One of the central issues for government is how
to share data sustainably. This goes for everything from costs, to
platforms, to standards and strategies.

It's rare that a project brief includes goals around open data, let alone
sustainable provision of open data. Hopefully, activities such as
data.gov.au will increasingly assist government organisations by providing
both a platform and a means for sharing their data without having to
re-invent the wheel every time.

Open data for most governments is a side effect of whatever the project
goals are, rather than a core deliverable of the project, which may be to
produce a report, or monitor something etc. Anything which makes
decision-making simpler and keeps costs down is extremely valuable.

The same thing really goes for private enterprise. Pushing businesses to
share their data in open and standard ways is also incredibly important.

Cheers,
-Tennessee

Tennessee Leeuwenburg
http://myownhat.blogspot.com/