[@OKFNau] Central ckan or other repository for Aus data?

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 07:49:51 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Keith Moss <keithamoss at gmail.com> wrote:

> I love the idea of themed data portals, Steve.

It would be nice to tie it all in with the data publishing processes
> government are using for their official portals without the need to copy
> data around the place.

Thinking about it a little more, could this be implemented in something
like GovPond? So:
1. VicRoads publishes bike data to data.vic.gov.au and
vicroadsopendata.vicroadsmaps.opendata.arcgis.com, City of Melbourne
publishes bike data to data.melbourne.vic.gov.ua
2. GovPond harvests these records as always.
3. Also, through a combination of smart search rules and some manual
curation (small matter of programming...heh), they appear in a special
"bicycle data" theme, accessible at say, bicycle.govpond.org.

Voila, themed portals. It would also have to be capable of harvesting from
(or have manual records pointing to) other non-gov sources of data. In this
case, say, Strava, bikely, openstreetmap extracts...

>For your third point: Does the federation functionality in CKAN permit
anything like this? And if not, can we build it in? (Perhaps an Alex
question...)

I don't know CKAN at all well enough to comment.

Steve