[@OKFNau] Central ckan or other repository for Aus data?

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 06:40:47 UTC 2014

I think a combination of curation and some automatic search/filtering is
the way to go here.

For example, on the "bicycle" theme, let's talk specifically about bicycle
volume data. There are a few sources of this:
- Bicycle Victoria does an annual survey at a few hundred locations.
- VicRoads has automatic sensors in various locations
- Some councils probably have some of their own sensors on roads, and there
are definitely sensors on some tourism-related bike paths like rail trails.
- Strava is an incredible resource of user-contributed data, with its own
biases etc. It's not open data but is relevant.
- Stats from the Melbourne Bike Share scheme are "bike volume data" in a
weaker sense.
- There are probably commuter surveys from councils, asking how people get
to work
- VicHealth would have its own surveys asking people how often they ride to
work
- And for that matter, Bike Vic has "ride to work" day data, separate from
its annual bike count.
- And there are probably various datasets generated by researchers
surveying people or using their

Imagine the list I've just written, but with links to datasets, and with a
few flags like "2013" and "CSV". I think this would be an awesome resource
for anyone interested in this kind of data. It's hard to see how you could
get to something this well organised purely through searching, tags etc,
unless someone is stepping in to add the right tags, tweak dataset
descriptions etc.

The closest thing I can think of as a model would be the Australian
Parliamentary Library
<http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/Browse_by_Topic>.
For example:
http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1314/QG/Asylum

Or...actually maybe more like Wikimedia Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bicycle

There, each page is a curated selection of highlights from a bigger
category, with links to subcategories (eg,
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Urban_cycling - whoa, NSFW if
you scroll down) - hence a combination of curated and non-curated content.

The implementation in GovPond could be as simple as:
- a page ("bicycle") with some static HTML/markdown/wikitext for the
curated content
- then, results of a hand-crafted query (perhaps more sophisticated than
just the word "bicycle")

Steve