[@OKau] Kellie Tranter on the OGP

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Wed Apr 8 02:37:16 UTC 2015

I agree! Rosie is doing tops stuff :)

Something I'd like to raise with this list is how we enable people to share
their insights and opinions via the OKAU blog. It is easy to write
something uncontroversial and post it up. Board minutes, news about
something in the public domain and updates from meetups are all examples.

However, when putting up something that is in reaction to, or opposition to
something in the public domain then the message would need to be one of the
following:

1. The opinion of the poster
2. The broad consensus opinion of OKAU
3. Some other consensus opinion (such as the Melbourne group, or a
particular working group area).

So as to enable quick responses on topical issues of the day I think we'd
need to go with the default position that all posts are the opinion of the
author. However, if we are to truly amplify the message of something then
we'd need an agreed mechanism for things to be escalated as the combined
voice of OKAU.

We have a similar situation with the response to the metadata sharing
contribution that was made by OKAU.

I think we'd easily find consensus on both the metadata comments and the
comments on releasing spending data (while also encouraging more), so maybe
this is a good time to put the question to the group.

What mechanism are we happy to use to arrive at a position where a public
statement can be made as 'the voice of Open Knowledge Australia'?

I ran into this last night when thinking about where to post the following:
http://www.linkdigital.com.au/news/2015/04/data-first-a-practical-guide/

It is something that might be relevant for ckan.org or au.okfn.org, but as
it is largely an opinion piece I thought it best to not assume anything and
check with people later.

Maybe I'm over thinking this and we should aim to simply post interesting
and relevant items as they come up (as the opinion of the author). The post
comments are then an easy place for further public discussion...

What do others think?

Cheers,
Steven

*STEVEN DE COSTA *|