[@OKau] "High value" datasets

Markus Buchhorn markus at intersect.org.au
Tue Apr 14 07:35:05 UTC 2015

Hi Cassie

One of the projects I was involved in (RDSI - www.rdsi.edu.au) had to
tackle this to allocate infrastructure funding towards the support of
research data in Australia. That was not easy! In effect it had to rank
research data collections, across disciplines, and even disciplines had
their own, quite different, merit criteria.

However, since RDSI was publicly funded and supported publicly funded
research, having the dataset (more) publicly accessible was one key
measure. That includes the data formats, the description, the
registration/discover-ability, a presentation mechanism, etc. Then you
get a whole range of other characteristics. At the same time there had
to be a scalable assessment process, which simplified elements, but it
pulled up a lot of quite challenging questions, which had not been
tackled before anywhere.

It's a little skewed from your question because it's not a generic 'high
to low' measure but a 'can we fund it from this finite dollar pool'
metric, however it has some useful ideas.

There's a summary of the characteristics/approach in one of the RDSI
reports:
https://www.rdsi.edu.au/sites/rdsi/files/uploads/ReDS%20Programme%20and%20Guidelines.pdf
- the last section or so. Apologies for the style but it was part of an
annual report to the Govt. I can't find a simpler version at the moment
but will keep looking. The criteria were fleshed out in subsequent
discussions with the service providers and communities.

Happy to chat more about if if folks are interested

Cheers,
Markus