[@OKau] Public sector data management report

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Thu Dec 3 02:06:15 UTC 2015

Govt tends to like the term data matching in some use cases. In one agency
dataset you can create a profile of a person based on statistical
algorithms which abstract away personal data. If you use similar algorithms
in another dataset you can then generate a correlation and have a strong
suspicion that two individuals are the same person.

When requesting data on a person from another agency, jurisdiction or
country such profile matching is used to build a case for the request. It
is most often used in matters relating to immigration and security. In
private sector the technique is used between industries like banking,
retail, travel, etc to share customer 'insight' data without breaching
privacy regulation. It all sounds a bit grey hat though.

In the way the report talks about linking dataset's I'd describe it more in
terms of a distributed relational database architecture, or as it mentioned
once, linked datasets.

Someone with a formal degree in this stuff would likely have a better
definition :)

Data literacy is an important area to focus on in all walks of life. As
Linked Data has begun to enter the mainstream conversation around data
management systems the conversational use of those two words in other
contexts will create a fair bit of confusion. It is hard to capitalize
letters when speaking to an audience...

Very cool to see the report though. Lots of good thinking and leadership
coming out of the public sector right now.

Cheers,
Steven