[@OKFNau] Announcing Open Knowledge Melbourne

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 05:55:36 UTC 2015

Hi Lachlan & Keith,
Given that for the past couple of years I have been working full time on open data projects for no remuneration, the issues you bring up are of great interest to me. The recently formed Open Data Australia meetup has members from all over Australia (and elsewhere) http://www.meetup.com/Australia-Open-Data/
During the first meetup a couple of weeks ago one of the features for me was to be able to hear from people working in open data around Australia - I normally only interact with Sydney-siders. However we did not get much of a chance to talk about the problems faced by open data advocates and open data projects. I think this would be a good theme for a future meetup if people are interested. I'm co-organiser of the group so am open suggestions.
I also participated in Random Hacks of Kindness here in Sydney recently and it is one hackathon where they do give support to teams (a meeting place) to continue the projects and problem owners/teams can also attend future RHOK's and get further input. It would be good to do collaborations with existing organisations like RHOK http://www.rhokaustralia.org/

I see no reason why projects begun at other hackfests can't become RHOK projects.
Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________

 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter InfoAus.net - Founder and Developer