[@OKFNau] Examples of Use of Commercial Government Data

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 01:08:58 UTC 2015

Also find attached an article about the "Yellow Milkmaid Syndrome" which
addresses "the release of open metadata from the perspective of the
business model of the cultural institutions" - a quote taken from this OKFN
blog post of two years ago
http://blog.okfn.org/2012/09/17/the-revenge-of-the-yellow-milkmaid-cultural-heritage-institutions-open-up-dataset-of-20m-items/

cheers
L.

------
The totalitarian society envisioned by George Orwell in 1984 should have
arrived by now. The electronic gadgets are here. The government is here,
ready to do what Orwell anticipated. So the power exists, the motive, and
the electronic hardware. But these mean nothing, because, progressively
more and more so, no one is listening. The new youth that I see is too
stupid to read, too restless and bored to watch, too preoccupied to
remember. The collective voice of the authorities is wasted on him; he
rebels. But rebels not out of theoretical, ideological considerations, only
out of what might be called pure selfishness. Plus a careless lack of
regard for the dread consequences the authorities promise him if he fails
to obey. He cannot be bribed because what he wants he can build, steal, or
in some curious, intricate way acquire for himself. He cannot be
intimidated because on the streets and in his home he has seen and
participated in so much violence that it fails to cow him. He merely gets
out of its way when it threatens, or, if he can't escape, he fights back.
When the locked police van comes to carry him off to the concentration camp
the guards will discover that while loading the van they have failed to
note that another equally hopeless juvenile has slashed the tires. The van
is out of commission. And while the tires are being replaced, the other
youth siphons out all the gas from the gas tank for his souped-up Chevrolet
Impala and has sped off long ago.
----
The Android and the Human, Philip K. Dick
sourced from
http://boingboing.net/2015/03/10/philip-k-dicks-androids-blu.html