[@OKFNau] Examples of Use of Commercial Government Data

Pia Waugh pia.waugh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 00:22:35 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Just a quick one:

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Lachlan Musicman <datakid at gmail.com> wrote:

Government officials. I cannot express how grateful I am that there are
> people in this organisation who can talk pretty because I just want to
> break their kneecaps and push them into puddles with a sneer.

It'd be really cool if people could remember that "government officials"
are not a faceless enemy. There are a lot of us working in government to
improve things, and comments like this certainly don't help. If you make it
a "you're either with us or agin us" then you make it very hard to
collaborate, educate or change the status quo. Personally I'm finding
attitudes are changing within Australian governments (fed, state/territory
and local) quite rapidly and I'm cautiously optimistic things will continue
to get better. Meanwhile, I guess we'll start issuing knee protectors as
standard issue across the public service ;)

Cheers,
Pia