[@OKFNau] speaking of values...

Paul Walsh paulywalsh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 06:12:29 UTC 2015

Hi Fiona,

I'm from Sydney but I've been living overseas for 10 years, so, I'm not a good candidate for organising meetups. I am in Australia at least once a year though.

Because I mostly work remotely, it should be no surprise that I'm more interested in async activities: people working on a project towards a common goal, without a need to be working at the same time.

I'll also note that this is a pretty workable model when people are committed to volunteering time (I've seen it work well at Open Knowledge, and other similar tech/data orgs I've been involved with over the years), but it does require good project management skills.

In terms of my specific interests:

In the last years I have been focused on municipal data, and spend data particularly. I'm working on new tooling around this, based on lessons learned in the last years.

I have a real passion to apply this work to state and local budgetary data in Australia. Last year, I started making  enquiries as to how to get such data, how it is structured, what rules exist (if any) for publication, but the scope of that work requires more hands (this is not data that is available through data.gov.au).

Best,
Paul