[@OKau] Qn's from Government re GovHack

Pia Waugh pia.waugh at gmail.com
Wed May 13 21:43:51 UTC 2015

Hi Rosie,

This is exactly why govhack is run by volunteers :) Basically people can
make projects that criticise the government, but don't tend to. Often we
get projects that use data such as budget data to better understand how
government spends money. Some departments are mote sensitive to external
interpretations than others but we have around 15 federal agencies
involved, 5 state and territory governments and several councils. So they
are managing the risk just fine. There are no privacy risks because we only
work with open data. There we always risks and it is up to the department
to mange their own risks, but the risks are low. By supporting and
participating in govhack, government agencies aren't endorsing the outcomes
and they get to choose who win specific gov supported prizes. But there are
non government supported prizes too.

In summary, there are always risks in doing public engagement and community
activities. But the benefits have far outweighed the risks for many
government supporters because the cost of innovation is so high through
traditional gov means, and govhack provides a friendly, large and
collaborative environment that brings community, gov and industry together
for the common good.

Hope that helps,
Pia