[@OKau] Qn's from Government re GovHack

Ben Searle ben at odiqueensland.org.au
Wed May 13 23:14:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

Just entering this discussion.

A few points that may add value to Pia’s thoughts.

A lot depends on the actual data that is considered for public release.  Department of Human Services manages huge amounts of data about individuals and this ‘raw’ data cannot be released for privacy reasons.  Data derived from the internal analysis of this personal data could be released if it meets certain privacy and related rules.  DHS will be creating such analysis for their own use to support and improve service delivery.

The release of any data would need to be supported by senior management and it is this level of management that  needs assurances of minimum risk to their Department, their Minister and Government in general.  The easiest answer is to not release any data, and then there is no risk.  A senior manager with an open mind and understanding of the real vs perceived risks is need to make a appropriate decision.

Most managers, especially at the middle tier (Director level) are very risk adverse.  A senior Executive level supporter is required to assist with the approval to release data.  However, as above, the level or real risk is dependant on the specific data being considered for release. Privacy issues are one key barrier, but there are also other legitimate reasons why data cannot be released.  Having said that, DHS is likely to have a number of internal guidelines and channels to use to get data into the pubic domain.  The ‘employee’ in question needs to go further up the chain….

I am not sure if this helps, but just anther perspective.

Ben Searle