[@OKau] Tenders data no derivatives?????

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Fri May 15 01:29:17 UTC 2015

Hi Rosie,

Well.. I was not confused but now I am. Your original query pointed to
the tenders.gov.au website and below you are pointing to the data.gov.au
website. They contain and distribute different data sets -- the main
distinction being the currency.

http://data.gov.au/dataset?q=tenders&sort=extras_harvest_portal+asc%2C+score+desc

http://data.gov.au/dataset?q=charities&sort=extras_harvest_portal+asc%2C+score+desc

https://www.tenders.gov.au/?event=public.ATM.list

In my experience the devil is in the detail. Clarification of whether
you could potentially breach copyright or what you are actually allowed
to do with the data requires you to explicitly clarify what is being
used, where it came from and what you are doing with it.

On 15/05/15 11:10, Rosie Williams wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I just want to make clear in case of any confusion, I'm not scraping
> anything. All three data sets, (Commonwealth) tenders, grants (that I'm
> using) and charities data are open data. Tenders and charities datasets
> are published at data.gov.au and grants data is published on the
> Department of Social Services website according to the specification
> recently implemented for the purposes of submitting all Commonwealth
> agency grant funding data to grants.gov.au to create a site similar to
> tenders.gov.au
>
> It would seem (potentially) that running a query that matches the ABN &
> entity name across 2 or 3 of these existing open data sets and
> publishing the results constitutes a derivative work that is therefore
> prohibited under the existing licence.
>
> This is probably something the government needs to think about.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)
> NoFibs.com.au <http://nofibs.com.au> - Open Data Reporter | InfoAus.net
> <http://infoaus.net> - Founder and Developer

> From: budgetaus at hotmail.com
> To: okfn-au at lists.okfn.org
> Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 11:33:18 +1030
> Subject: Re: [@OKau] Tenders data no derivatives?????
>
> Thanks guys- might take you up on that offer Steven. I only noticed the
> extra 'ND' in the footer this morning as my decision to use tenders data
> is fairly recent. I'm actually quite curious about why it has been
> limited in this way as the explanation should make interesting reading.
> I'm also concerned about the implications for my databases using grants
> data if similar limitations are placed on grants.gov.au data when it
> comes online.
>
> I don't know if what I'm doing is an exception to the rule about
> adaption or not. As Cobi says, it would be good to have such useful
> discussions on a list about open knowledge. The things I'll be doing
> with data are hardly unusual.
>
> If I do end up having to argue my case, it's worth noting that it is not
> just 'my' case I'd be arguing but the case on behalf of all the people
> who would be interested in the information resulting from re-mixing and
> adaptation. I can only imagine how affronted this (growing) community
> will be if they are told that having the data made useful to them is
> something the government is explicitly denying.
>
> I'll also have to work out how to fund what looks to be a big (for one
> person) project if I'm not allowed to use the data for commercial
> purposes. My intention is to crowdfund (either amount per project or an
> amount to fund my work generally). I'm actually supposed to be
> researching this decision right now for the purposes of my NEIS business
> plan due to be completed shortly so I'm glad this issue raised its head
> when it did.
>
> Having met with my University of Sydney business students yesterday to
> hear the strategies they are proposing for my future business, I also
> [...]

Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides