[@OKau] OpenSpending Next: 2015 Roadmap

Paul Walsh paulywalsh at gmail.com
Tue May 26 12:45:56 UTC 2015

> On 26 May 2015, at 13:46, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi again,
>   For my part, I'm super keen. There are quite a few related tools and projects (some under this banner, some not) that fit together to make a very exciting and compelling new open data economy.

Yes! And, there is more to come :).

> It took me a little while to learn how they fit together, so for everyone else, here's my cheat sheet (thanks to Paul for walking me through it all):
> ----
> JSON Table Schema: http://dataprotocols.org/json-table-schema/ <http://dataprotocols.org/json-table-schema/>
> - defines schemas in JSON that validate CSV files.  [itself based on JSON Schema]
>
> JTS Kit: https://github.com/okfn/jtskit-py <https://github.com/okfn/jtskit-py>
> - tools to support JSON Table Schema, including automatically starting a skeleton schema from a CSV file.
>
> GoodTables: https://github.com/okfn/goodtables <https://github.com/okfn/goodtables>
> - some kind of pipeline/workflow stuff once you already have tables in the right formats. Maybe verifies that they do match the schemas.
>
> Data Packages: http://dataprotocols.org/data-packages/ <http://dataprotocols.org/data-packages/>
> - a bundling of a JSON Table Schema and one or more data files together so you have clear metadata describing what's in the data files.
>
> Data Package Manager: https://www.npmjs.com/package/datapackage <https://www.npmjs.com/package/datapackage>
> - command line tools for working with Data Packages
>
> Budget Data Package: https://github.com/openspending/budget-data-package/blob/master/specification.md <https://github.com/openspending/budget-data-package/blob/master/specification.md>
> - an example of a data package schema in action
>
> Frictionless Data: http://data.okfn.org/standards <http://data.okfn.org/standards>
> - all of the above fits under this banner of making data more interoperable.
>
> Open Civic Data Division IDs: https://github.com/opencivicdata/ocd-division-ids/tree/master/identifiers/country-au <https://github.com/opencivicdata/ocd-division-ids/tree/master/identifiers/country-au>
> - unique IDs for all administrative regions.
> ----
>
> I've been pretty tied up with VicTripathon <http://victripathon.com/> for the last week or two - rather looking forward to having some free headspace next week to get back into this.

Aside from the call for OpenSpending, if anyone wants to get involved in any of the above projects (or more generally, the momentum that is building around Frictionless Data tooling and standards at Open Knowledge), **please** contact me.

We’ve made a start, and there is so much more to do! For further context, you may like to read up on the vision:

http://data.okfn.org/vision <http://data.okfn.org/vision>

Best,

Paul