[@OKau] OpenSpending Next: 2015 Roadmap

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Tue May 26 10:46:54 UTC 2015

Hi again,
  For my part, I'm super keen. There are quite a few related tools and
projects (some under this banner, some not) that fit together to make a
very exciting and compelling new open data economy. It took me a little
while to learn how they fit together, so for everyone else, here's my cheat
sheet (thanks to Paul for walking me through it all):
----
JSON Table Schema: http://dataprotocols.org/json-table-schema/
- defines schemas in JSON that validate CSV files.  [itself based on JSON
Schema]

JTS Kit: https://github.com/okfn/jtskit-py
- tools to support JSON Table Schema, including automatically starting a
skeleton schema from a CSV file.

GoodTables: https://github.com/okfn/goodtables
- some kind of pipeline/workflow stuff once you already have tables in the
right formats. Maybe verifies that they do match the schemas.

Data Packages: http://dataprotocols.org/data-packages/
- a bundling of a JSON Table Schema and one or more data files together so
you have clear metadata describing what's in the data files.

Data Package Manager: https://www.npmjs.com/package/datapackage
<https://www.npmjs.com/package/datapackage>
- command line tools for working with Data Packages

Budget Data Package:
https://github.com/openspending/budget-data-package/blob/master/specification.md
- an example of a data package schema in action

Frictionless Data: http://data.okfn.org/standards
- all of the above fits under this banner of making data more
interoperable.

Open Civic Data Division IDs:
https://github.com/opencivicdata/ocd-division-ids/tree/master/identifiers/country-au
- unique IDs for all administrative regions.
----

I've been pretty tied up with VicTripathon <http://victripathon.com> for
the last week or two - rather looking forward to having some free headspace
next week to get back into this.

Steve