[@OKau] DataStart

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Tue Nov 3 09:04:24 UTC 2015

My thought is that it is not bad, but a little disappointing that
'public-private' partnership so quickly has translated to 'lets fund a
competitive culture of innovation startups with nothing to lose'. Early
days though, so maybe this is just an easy start on the right kind of path
forward.

My view is that there are other ways Govt could stimulate such partnerships
via alternative procurement or funding approaches with established SME,
civil society groups and enterprise.

We can replicate success in other markets and grow the data industry by
supporting export activity and direct R&D incentive schemes.

Why not give 200k to the Drupal Association with the caveat of funding
modules and distributions built by AU companies which show global export
potential around services and platform management?

With bias, why not similarly fund the CKAN association or Open Knowledge to
further global initiatives which support transformation toward a data
driven economy?

But generally, it isn't a bad thing :) very happy to see any such
initiatives in Australia.

--
*STEVEN DE COSTA *|
*EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR*www.linkdigital.com.au