[@OKau] DataStart

Rosie Williams budgetaus at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:36:19 UTC 2015

I think it would be good to have philanthropic investment as opposed to VC investment. To me, one of the major points of open data is to provide transparency but by the same token, transparency projects do not seem to be ideal candidates for the startup, grow fast, go global and ultimately sell up paradigm. To me open data is mostly about limited to an Australian audience and I think that contradicts what VC's generally want.
Maybe my assumptions of what is intended by the term startup are wrong, this may be just my impression of how it works. Having said that, I will likely have to apply for this and re-conceptualise my efforts to that end given the lack of financial support for what I am doing. The NEIS program is coming to an end and at that juncture if there are no other options on the table, I won't have any choice in whether or not I continue OpenAus given the workload it entails.
There seems to be a big contradiction between people advocating the value of open data and people actually valuing existing open data projects. This has been a real puzzle to me over the life-time of my project. Perhaps if my first project had been a public transport app instead of a budget transparency site I'd be telling a different story.
Rosie Williams BA (Sociology)________________________________________
 NoFibs.com.au - Open Data Reporter | OpenAus - Founder and Developer