[@OKau] IODC report and open data index

Paul Walsh paulywalsh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:26:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

> On 3 Sep 2015, at 10:52, Rosie Williams <budgetaus at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Steven,
>
> So if all Australian spending data was open and in appropriate formats then all the icons for Australia would be green?

A few more things are required for all green on Australian spending data:

http://global.census.okfn.org/entry/au/spending <http://global.census.okfn.org/entry/au/spending>

> I find the concept of evaluation performance over an unknown and moving list to be problematic.

It is a best effort, crowd sourced initiative. A lot of work goes into methodology, and improving it over time. Like any census, it is useful as indicator, rather than an exact statement of fact.

> Furthermore, I suspect this might be a problem with expectations people have of open data, particularly under policies that declare data should be open by default.
>
> I think it is problematic to define what all data should be open when I am not sure there is a definable list of data-sets that can be used as a basis for measuring.

Many people are involved globally in discussing the merits of the way scoring is done, the applicable datasets, differences between different places, and methodological issues. It would be great if you want to contribute! We already have a strong Australian presence due to the amazing efforts of Stephen Gates, but the more people that get involved, the better the data gets.

Discussion is here: https://discuss.okfn.org/c/open-data-index <https://discuss.okfn.org/c/open-data-index>

> Also the tenders data seems to have been reported under government spending instead of procurement. I'm guessing government spending might be grants if there is a separate section for procurement?

Procurement is a new dataset, introduced this year. As it did not exist in previous years, it seems the submitter added procurements as part of spending.

Best

Paul