[@OKau] Building A Startup Doesn’t Make You Special

Steven De Costa steven.decosta at linkdigital.com.au
Tue Feb 23 23:15:47 UTC 2016

Always great to have you share your experience and insight Rosie :)

On the article, it is quite antagonistic but understandable all the same.
I've run into a number of startup founders over the last few years, mostly
outside Australia, and they do present themselves as pretty special folk.
However, you just need to appreciate that they really do need to focus on
selling their ideas and vision in order to gain the backing they hope to
achieve. This naturally translates into common attitudes which I think the
article is attempting to debunk - but I find that outside particular
bubbles no one really believes the hype surrounding startup pitches.
Experienced folk only pay attention to the substance within the pitch.

Regarding open data businesses in Australia I do see a lot of opportunity.
I agree that establishing an open data channel for service or product
revenue within an established company is much more sustainable that
starting something fresh which is entirely dependent on revenue from open
data initiatives.

There are many emerging sectors where open data has gained some footholds.
That is, organisations are happy to allocate a budget for engagement on
initiatives. My short list would be:

Government - both jurisdictional 'whole of Govt' and agencies. This is
different in federal, state and council jurisdictions but there is enough
momentum that work can be found if you are able to build a profile for the
services and products you can provide.

Academia - the cross over between open data and open access is substantial.
With changes to research grant approvals being put in place to emphasise
market ready research, open data based innovations that link back to
academic research activities are an easy economic win. Now is a good time
to talk with research teams to learn about their work and help them design
ways that the value of their research can deliver more value published
within an open or public data model.

Corporate - large corporate operations face similar scrutiny from the
public as Government operations. Publicly trading companies and companies
with large consumer numbers have a need for more efficient disclosure. The
same tools and techniques that have matured within the open Government data
sector can be applied within such corporate environments.

NGOs - taking the success stories from initiatives that are being run in
developing economies by NGOs and replicating the approach within Australia
and our surrounding region is somewhat daunting, but not impossible. I
think that this will be an area of work that will grow quickly once it
takes off.

Self starting initiatives - I think this is likely where people begin when
looking for opportunities to develop value with open data and attempt to
establish revenue to sustain their work. Among this short list it is
probably the hardest form of work to secure. After building a profile for
my company over the last 14 years, and more recently around AWS and open
data since 2012, we've only just secured our first paying job to build
something designed entirely from our own ideas. Doing this requires an
enormous amount of stakeholder management and substantial risk. I suspect
it will be our most rewarding work, but it wont really pay staff wages for
at least two years.

In general, every contract is special. They pay wages, subsidise work to
build greater capability and it is a very long game you need to play. All
the while you remain terrified because any multinational with the slightest
understanding of how to engage in this space could easily swoop in and take
your contracts. As such, you need to pitch and deliver everything at the
enterprise level.

It is a great and worthwhile challenge which I think Australian companies
are well placed to tackle. We actually have the beginnings of a national
open data infrastructure in place today. With a little more work over the
years ahead Australia could have the best and most effective model for
publishing open data from all three tiers of Government, synthesised via
common standards, with open data from corporate, academic and community
generated sources increasing the total value of our infrastructure.

Cheers,
Steven

*STEVEN DE COSTA *|
*EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR*www.linkdigital.com.au