No subject

Sun Dec 12 18:29:16 GMT 2010

organization, but it might be that they are somewhat sceptical and will not
recognize you as a chapter, but as an 'associated organization' or
something. Which would still allow a lot, but also more flexibility with
regards to trademark agreements etc.

I'd be happy to brainstorm some day, preferrably via online means, but I
think it is much more important to get some belgians involved rather than a
Dutchie like me :)

Best,

Lodewijk

No dia 8 de Janeiro de 2012 22:24, Gmail - Wouter <
wouter.vanden.hove at gmail.com> escreveu:

> Op 08-01-12 20:59, maarten deneckere schreef:
>
>  Wouter,
>>
>> seems we're on the same wavelength about this new organisation. However,
>> this means the okfn organisation (vzw/asbl?) will be mostly a
>> administrative organisation, that will have to control the different
>> smaller organisations.
>>

> OKFN-BE will be an official organisation (Belgian VZW/asbl)
> + will hopefully by very active on concrete projects.
>
> The current momentum is the biggest for all things related to "open data".
> So in practice, most focus will be on this topic, but this is just because
> most people
> currently subscribed on this list are ""open data"-evangelists.
> But people active in Open Access, Wikipedia, are just as welcome, and can
> work in parallel.
>

> If enough people  in OKFN-BE are active in Wikimedia-projects, they can
> decide to form a new organisation like Wikimedia BE  (or Wikimedia
> Flanders, ...). If that is the case, that will be an independent
> organisation, or it could just stay a working group within OKFN-BE.
> This is what the wikimedia-people should discuss among themselves.
> It also depends on the requirements of the parent organisation to become
> their local chapter (like keeping the organisation's name/logo)
>
> For example,  in Kazachstan (now how did I get that example?)
> the same organisation is both Creative Commons Partner and the Wikimedia
> chapter:
> http://wikibilim.kz/
> http://wikibilim.kz/view-**content/19/.html<http://wikibilim.kz/view-content/19/.html>
> http://wikibilim.kz/view-**content/2/-.html<http://wikibilim.kz/view-content/2/-.html>
>
> So it seems possible that a single organisation acts as a local chapter
> for different parent organisations.
> In the end it all depends on the number of people willing to take up any
> responsibility.
>

> Greets
> Wouter

--0015175d67aebe888c04b60b12a1

 me first shortly introduce myself: I&#39;m Lodewijk Gelauff, Dutch, co-fou=
nder and =A0former=A0(5y)=A0board member of Wikimedia Netherlands and membe=
r of the Wikimedia Foundation chapters committee.=A0</div>

s and others have joined together in one organization. Being a CC branch or=
ganization is however entirely different than being a Wikimedia chapter, so=
 I guess that cannot be really compared. While CC is primarily about gettin=
g good licenses, and laying infrastructure, Wikimedia is more about a speci=
fic community with their goals. Cooperation however seems to work well in m=
any countries. The Wikimedia Chapters in Indonesia and Serbia are also the =
CC-local organization, but that is mainly secondary. Wikibilim in Kazakhsta=
n is not yet recognized as a Wikimedia chapter - currently still under revi=
ew of the chapters committee.=A0</div>

amber might or may not work. It depends a lot on how it is being structured=
, and how well everything is organized. It would certainly make some things=
 also more complicated. If you would choose that route, I would definitely =
suggest to submit that first to the chapters committee and/or the WMF legal=
 department, because it might make trademark agreement etc more tricky. Als=
o there has to be enough &#39;love&#39; between the local groups to join in=
 one organization. In Italy the OSM people tried to make WMIT also an OSM-c=
hapter, but as far as I know that never really worked out.=A0</div>

gainst a joint organization, but it might be that they are somewhat sceptic=
al and will not recognize you as a chapter, but as an &#39;associated organ=
ization&#39; or something. Which would still allow a lot, but also more fle=
xibility with regards to trademark agreements etc.=A0</div>

a online means, but I think it is much more important to get some belgians =

a 8 de Janeiro de 2012 22:24, Gmail - Wouter <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:wouter.vanden.hove at gmail.com">wouter.vanden.hove at gmail.com</a>&g=
t;</span> escreveu:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Op 08-01-12 20:59, maarten deneckere schreef=
:<div class=3D"im"><br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Wouter,<br>
seems we&#39;re on the same wavelength about this new organisation. However=
, this means the okfn organisation (vzw/asbl?) will be mostly a administrat=
ive organisation, that will have to control the different smaller organisat=
ions. <br>

OKFN-BE will be an official organisation (Belgian VZW/asbl)<br>
+ will hopefully by very active on concrete projects.<br>
The current momentum is the biggest for all things related to &quot;open da=
ta&quot;.<br>
So in practice, most focus will be on this topic, but this is just because =
most people<br>
currently subscribed on this list are &quot;&quot;open data&quot;-evangelis=
ts.<br>
But people active in Open Access, Wikipedia, are just as welcome, and can w=
ork in parallel.<br>
If enough people =A0in OKFN-BE are active in Wikimedia-projects, they can d=
ecide to form a new organisation like Wikimedia BE =A0(or Wikimedia Flander=
s, ...). If that is the case, that will be an independent organisation, or =
it could just stay a working group within OKFN-BE.<br>

This is what the wikimedia-people should discuss among themselves.<br>
It also depends on the requirements of the parent organisation to become th=
eir local chapter (like keeping the organisation&#39;s name/logo)<br>
For example, =A0in Kazachstan (now how did I get that example?)<br>
the same organisation is both Creative Commons Partner and the Wikimedia ch=
apter:<br>
So it seems possible that a single organisation acts as a local chapter for=
 different parent organisations.<br>
In the end it all depends on the number of people willing to take up any re=
sponsibility.<br>
Wouter<br>

--0015175d67aebe888c04b60b12a1--