[okfn-be] Collaboration with Wikipedia

Gmail - Wouter wouter.vanden.hove at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 23:33:46 UTC 2012

Op 08-01-12 22:36, Lodewijk schreef:
> Hi Wouter,
>
> Good to see that conversation is ongoing. Let me first shortly
> introduce myself: I'm Lodewijk Gelauff, Dutch, co-founder and
>  former (5y) board member of Wikimedia Netherlands and member of the
> Wikimedia Foundation chapters committee.

Thanks Lodewijk, for your contribution, I hope we can learn from the 5
years experience of running the Dutch Wikimedia Chapter.

Some useful shortcuts:

General info about Wikimedia Chapter
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapter
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Local_chapters
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Local_chapter_FAQ
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_committee
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Guidelines_for_future_chapters
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requirements_for_future_chapters
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sub-national_chapters

About the Dutch Chapter:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Nederland
http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Statuten_VWN_%28en%29
http://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reglement_VWN_%28en%29

Wikimedia-BE mailinglist:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediabe-l/

Creative Commons-BE Mailinglist:

Does anyone know other mailinglists/ or organisations
that insect with the terms "Belgium" and "open/free/floss"?

Appearantly we have a public domain organisation based in Brussels:
http://www.communia-project.eu/
http://www.communia-association.org/
it even has ties with OKFN?
When I look t the members-list, it seems like an umbrella-organisation
for umbrella-organisations
http://www.communia-association.org/members-2/
mailinglist:

(I'll put these on in an overview-page on the wiki someday)

> From the side of Wikimedia there is unlikely a *veto* against a joint
> organization, but it might be that they are somewhat sceptical and
> will not recognize you as a chapter, but as an 'associated
> organization' or something. Which would still allow a lot, but also
> more flexibility with regards to trademark agreements etc.

I didn't find any relevant information for "'associated organization'".
Are there "associated organizations" of Wikimedia in existence, or it
this just an informal term?

According to this map
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Wikimedia_chapters.svg
Belgium is tied together with Ireland and Greece as the last
West-European country
that don't have a local Wikimedia Chapter. (Doesn't feel like something
to be proud of.)

Greets
Wouter