[okfn-be] Collaboration with Wikipedia

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Sun Jan 8 21:36:00 UTC 2012

Hi Wouter,

Good to see that conversation is ongoing. Let me first shortly introduce
myself: I'm Lodewijk Gelauff, Dutch, co-founder and  former (5y) board
member of Wikimedia Netherlands and member of the Wikimedia Foundation
chapters committee.

There are some countries indeed where Wikimedia chapters and others have
joined together in one organization. Being a CC branch organization is
however entirely different than being a Wikimedia chapter, so I guess that
cannot be really compared. While CC is primarily about getting good
licenses, and laying infrastructure, Wikimedia is more about a specific
community with their goals. Cooperation however seems to work well in many
countries. The Wikimedia Chapters in Indonesia and Serbia are also the
CC-local organization, but that is mainly secondary. Wikibilim in
Kazakhstan is not yet recognized as a Wikimedia chapter - currently still
under review of the chapters committee.

Having a joint organization as some kind of breeding chamber might or may
not work. It depends a lot on how it is being structured, and how well
everything is organized. It would certainly make some things also more
complicated. If you would choose that route, I would definitely suggest to
submit that first to the chapters committee and/or the WMF legal
department, because it might make trademark agreement etc more tricky. Also
there has to be enough 'love' between the local groups to join in one
organization. In Italy the OSM people tried to make WMIT also an
OSM-chapter, but as far as I know that never really worked out.

>From the side of Wikimedia there is unlikely a *veto* against a joint
organization, but it might be that they are somewhat sceptical and will not
recognize you as a chapter, but as an 'associated organization' or
something. Which would still allow a lot, but also more flexibility with
regards to trademark agreements etc.

I'd be happy to brainstorm some day, preferrably via online means, but I
think it is much more important to get some belgians involved rather than a
Dutchie like me :)

Best,

Lodewijk

No dia 8 de Janeiro de 2012 22:24, Gmail - Wouter <