[okfn-be] Collaboration with Wikipedia

Gmail - Wouter wouter.vanden.hove at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 21:24:24 UTC 2012

Op 08-01-12 20:59, maarten deneckere schreef:
> Wouter,
>
> seems we're on the same wavelength about this new organisation.
> However, this means the okfn organisation (vzw/asbl?) will be mostly a
> administrative organisation, that will have to control the different
> smaller organisations.

OKFN-BE will be an official organisation (Belgian VZW/asbl)
+ will hopefully by very active on concrete projects.

The current momentum is the biggest for all things related to "open data".
So in practice, most focus will be on this topic, but this is just
because most people
currently subscribed on this list are ""open data"-evangelists.
But people active in Open Access, Wikipedia, are just as welcome, and
can work in parallel.

If enough people  in OKFN-BE are active in Wikimedia-projects, they can
decide to form a new organisation like Wikimedia BE  (or Wikimedia
Flanders, ...). If that is the case, that will be an independent
organisation, or it could just stay a working group within OKFN-BE.
This is what the wikimedia-people should discuss among themselves.
It also depends on the requirements of the parent organisation to become
their local chapter (like keeping the organisation's name/logo)

For example,  in Kazachstan (now how did I get that example?)
the same organisation is both Creative Commons Partner and the Wikimedia
chapter:
http://wikibilim.kz/
http://wikibilim.kz/view-content/19/.html
http://wikibilim.kz/view-content/2/-.html

So it seems possible that a single organisation acts as a local chapter
for different parent organisations.
In the end it all depends on the number of people willing to take up any
responsibility.

Greets
Wouter