[okfn-be] Random Hacks of Kindness Hackathon in Belgium, 2/3 June 2012

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Mon May 7 21:16:38 UTC 2012

Hi Tasha,

Congrats with the 5th edition!

It would be great to have someone of OKFN as a speaker at RHoK. Do you
think it would be possible to present some datasets of Belgium and Flanders?

In June, Flanders is going to organise an Open Data Day. It might be
interesting to give the best hacker who uses open data a stage on the
15th of June as well for what (s)he coded. Maybe we can, to stimulate
this, give a great price for if they use datasets we will have opened up
by then? What do you think?

Maybe we should have a phone call concerning this...

Kind regards,

Pieter

On 05/07/2012 09:50 PM, imifos at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we are organising the 2nd RHoK Hackathon on 2-3 June in Belgium. The
> location is this time in Kontich, near Antwerp, Gent and Brussels.
>
> The mission of the global RHoK movement is to make the world a better
> place through a global community of innovation developing practical open
> technology. Hacking for Humanity, so to speak. RHoK is unique in the
> space of “apps competitions”, “hackathons” and “technology for social
> good”. RHoK’s model is to start from identifying, defining and refining
> problem definitions provided by subject matter experts and local
> stakeholders. This ensures that volunteer time is focused on solving
> real problems for real people.
>
> This will be the 5th event in general, happening at the same time in 35
> cities around the world, live streamed and ... great fun!
>
> Everybody is welcome, programmers as well as designers, creative people
> and brain stormers. During the event we speak a mix of 4 languages:
> French, Dutch, English and a bit of German (yes, we have participants
> from the german speaking region of Belgium:) )
>
> The event is free. Food and net access will be provided. Great fun is
> promised, prices for the best applications are foreseen and sleeping is
> possible on place. Everything the hacker's heart requires is prepared -
> missing part: YOU!
>
> The usage of Open-data - local or global - is highly recommended. Maybe
> one of the OKFN-BE people would like to join the event to present the
> project? We would like to introduce the Hackathon with some shorts talk
> sessions and it would be a great opportunity to establish deeper
> contacts. We are also looking for "local problem definitions" and I'm
> sure the the OKFN-BE list members have some inspiration what could be
> done. Hey, programming power for free - don't miss this :-)
>
> More info on the Belgium event page: http://rhok.be and the global event
> page: http://rhok.org, or just Google around.
>
> Impressions from the last event in Belgium (video and pics):
> http://www.rhok.be/media/
>
> Best wishes,
> Tasha
> RHOK.BE Team