[okfn-be] Datadays conference February 2014

Pieter-Jan Pauwels pieter-jan.pauwels at okfn.org
Tue Jan 14 12:23:30 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the repost, because of different mark-ups in the text, it was a bit hard to read.
Here is the plain version:

We haven’t officially introduced you to our first big conference. I’d like to invite you all to Open Belgium, organised by OKFN Belgium, which is the first day of a 3-day conference Data Days 2014  in Ghent, Belgium from 17 till 19 February –  dedicated to Open Data. The conference will focus on the actual use of Open Data in the field, not just on the theory behind the idea.

For those interested: Simultaneously we’re working on the homonymous website http://openbelgium.be/ where we bring together the community which is devoted to opening up data in their field or area. On Open Belgium we’ll link to the conference as well but also to our members, a data portal with Belgian data and success stories about the publications and applications of Open Data in Belgium. You will find new stories from several speakers on Open Belgium very soon.

But enough about that, back to DataDays, which we aspire to be one of the leading conferences in the European region. The quality of a conference is determined by it’s participators and that’s why we would love YOU to come to the conference. Considering you subscribed to this list, we would love to have you there and share your opinion and/or knowledge on Open Data. Because it doesn’t just matter who’s on stage, for us it’s important that we have the right people in the audience as well. Their impact can be even greater.

So we gladly introduce the programme below. For a limited numbers of participants we also provide an entrance bursary. To apply for this bursary, please fill in the google form through te link below. All new information about the conference will be shared through the Twitter hashtag #ddays14. Feel free to use the hashtag to let us know how you feel about this conference.

The DataDays conference itself is a joint effort of the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN), The European project Citadel on the Move and the Linked Organisation of Local Authority ICT Societies (LOLA).

The program allows you to travel from Open Belgium to Open Europe and to arrive at Open World:

Open Belgium (17 Feb)
Open Belgium will host several keynote speeches Open Data by policy makers in Flanders, Wallonia and Belgium. Break-out rooms will also host various workshops on specific subjects such as Open Transport in Belgium, Open Street Map in Belgium, the use of creative commons licenses, and the Belgian datasets that are most wanted to be opened up next.

Open Europe (18 Feb)
Citadel on the Move presents an Open forum to policy makers and influencers alike to discuss the future of Open Data in Europe. The first results of the project that allows cities to publish their data in a way they can easily be used in a mobile app will be demonstrated. And the winners of the Hackathon come on stage to show their apps.

Open World (19 Feb)
Open Data is a global phenomenon. Its true implications only become apparent when looking across borders, across continents. The Data Days provide a platform for experts and enthusiasts from all over the world to get in touch, share experiences and exchange strategies so that Open Data may shape the future for all of us.  Key topics will include interoperability of Open Data between European cities and regions, Open Data licensing and business models.

Registration
You can choose different modules or go for the full conference package.
Visit http://www.datadays.eu/registration/ to find out what fits best and register now!
For those who have already registered, please advise the organizers of your social event attendance (February 18th) by mail.

Conference venue
The conference will be held in Ghent, Belgium, from February 17 – 19, 2014.
Day 1: STAM (located at the Bijloke site) -  Day 2 & 3: De Bijloke (nearby STAM)

Conference program
Visit http://www.datadays.eu and check out the full program.

Entrance Bursary
You can enter your information for an entrance bursary through https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oGxhhxfGn5-xo50wEDbEIRA7cPEIHykW5O-cCPr53s0/viewform. The deadline for this bursary is the 31st of january. If you have any question about the form or the bursary, just reply to this mail.

Join us and other Open Data pioneers, practitioners, thinkers and researchers from across the world. We’d love to have you there and join the discussion on how we can use Open Data in a structural and sustainable way.

We look forward to meeting you at this conference. Please let us know through pieter-jan.pauwels at okfn.org as well if you’ll be able to attend. We’d love to meet up and talk about how you work on Open Data in your community.

 Pieter-Jan Pauwels and Pieter Colpaert from OKFN Belgium

Pieter-Jan Pauwels Community Coordinator , OKFN Belgium
pieter-jan.pauwels at okfn.org | http://okfn.be/